Saturday, March 28, 2009

Saturday Morning

Today I woke up at 10:30. Ten THIRTY! But when I was younger, that never would've happened. You see on Saturdays, even though it was your one day a week to sleep in, you never would. Why? Because of Saturday Morning T.V. shows, because they were so great.

When I was growing up, Saturday morning had it's own theme song, "Five hours of summer, once a week! (One Saturday Morning...)" Not only were the cartoons and child soap operas helpful in everyday life, but even the commericals were chalk full of information. You would find out what new Hot Wheels race car track was "IN STORES NOW!" Or that the new 'Real Life Doll' that could actually wet herself. These commericals would be the bulk of what I put on my Christmas Lists every year. And somehow I always thought that all the cool girl toys would be waiting for me under the Christmas Tree that year, and even the cool boy toys I'd still get to play with, because my cousin Luke would somehow magically get those. It didn't matter that every Christmas came and went without the doll that could pee her pants, those commericals still proved to be sometimes more entertaining than the shows sometimes. It's sad to see how far Saturday Morning has come: From George and Jane Jetson, to Lizzie McGuire, now to Miley Cirus Pop-diva sensation (whatever).

It's times like these when I wish change didnt' have to happen. Why do Powerpuff Girls who replaced Bonkers get replaced by Dora the Explorer? And when did Barney turn gay? I don't know. All I know is I am so thankful for my saturday morning cartoons-theme song and all. I will never forget waking up at 7 am (yikes) to go downstairs with my cereal to watch 'How Much Stuff Can an Elephant Crush'. And I'm so glad that I know the Jonas Brothers, Kevin, Joe and Nick (aka Curly, Cocky and Oldest), are just copy cats of the Lawrence Brothers: Joe, Matt and Andy. :)

2 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA SHMOE!!!!!!!!!!! I loved Saturday morning cartoons. I always wanted to be the host girl, she was pretty cool. And whatever you do, do NOT forget Power Rangers SPD Space Patrol Delta! Don't lie, you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post :) Holy cow! You are totally right!! It's ridiculous how stupid the cartoons are now! And what happened to Barney? This is nuts.

    (Did you ever watch Recess? Good one!!)

    ReplyDelete